HIPAA 2020: Secure Texting & Emailing with Patients (Myth's Vs Reality)
Duration: 90 Minutes
Faculty: John Brewer Level: Intermediate Course ID: 1132
A violation is a violation. And if you think it couldn’t happen to you, think again. Text and email HIPAA violations are not always caused by what you might think. For example, you may think you are safe as long as you don’t text patients – you’re wrong. Many violations generally occur between providers messaging their staff. You can avoid getting hit with a HIPAA audit and violations with a few simple changes to your current processes. But you have to be able to identify the danger zones.
National HIPAA expert, Brian, will walk you through how to escape being hit with HIPAA emailing and texting violations. Brian is conducting an online training session that will provide you with the proven strategies you need to stay out HIPAA hot water, HIPAA Compliance: Avoid Text/Email Danger Zones – you’ll be surprised by what can land you in serious trouble.
Why should you Attend:
Confused by what you can and can’t transmit under HIPAA? Don’t always believe what you read online about HIPAA, especially as it relates to encryption and IT, there are a lot of groups selling more than is necessarily required. It is important to understand the new changes going on at Health and Human Services as it relates to enforcement of HIPAA for both covered entities and business associates as it relates to portable devices, texting, and emailing of PHI.
You need to know how to avoid being low hanging fruit in terms of audit risk as well as being sued by individuals who have had their PHI wrongfully discloses due to bad IT practices. I have also been expert witness on multiple court cases where a business or medical practice is being sued for not doing their due diligence to minimize risk. These day’s trial attorney’s pose a higher risk than the Federal government.
- Choose the Safest Communication Method: Patient Portal vs. Email Communications
- Protect yourself from HIPAA Violations with one simple Item Added to your Emails
- Identify when you can Send PHI via email – or if you ever Should
- Stop the Worst Internal Text message HIPAA Violators from sinking your Practices
- Prevent Gmail, Yahoo! Mail or the infamous AOL from ending in Catastrophe
- Improve HIPAA security for all of your Messaging Easier than you thought Possible
Who Will Benefit:
- All Positions can Benefit with Added focus for HIPAA Security Office
- Practice Manager
- Any Business Associates who work with Medical Practices or Hospitals (i.e. Billing Companies, Transcription Companies, IT Companies, Answering Services, Home Health, Coders, Attorneys, etc)
- MD’s and other Medical Professionals